What is the Internet of Things or IoT?Technology is moving at a rate never before seen! This is driven somewhat by the internet, the ability to share information has never been simpler. Let’s look at this blog for example, I am not an expert in telecommunications by any means but if you know enough about the subject matter you want to discuss in most cases you can find enough information about the subject you want to write about on the world wide web. This includes the Internet of Things or IoT. Before we get into too much detail lets introduce you to a number of IoT terms:-
- The Internet of Things (IoT) is the connection of physical devices within your home, vehicle or office via internetworking obviously utilising connectivity via the world wide web or internet.
- Internetworking – is the connection of a computer network with other networks through the use of gateways.
- IoT Gateway – provides a communication link between your devices and the Cloud and can also offer local processing and storage capabilities to provide offline services and if required real time control over devices in your home or office.
- Smart Home – a home equipped with door locks, lighting, heating, sensors and electronic devices that can be controlled remotely by smartphone or computer.
- Z-Wave – is a world-standard wireless technology that lets all your home electronics talk to each other, and to you, via remote control. Z-Wave is only one protocol there are others but they require devices that are specific to their protocol.